Re: Continuation references with empty dn

At 01:05 PM 10/9/00 +0200, Stig Venås wrote:
>I want to have a continuation reference to a server where the dn is
>empty (I want the base of the new search to be "").  According to RFC
>2251 the dn part must be present in the URL, so when the URL is just
>"ldap://host/"; I would think of that as the dn being "".

ldap://host/ ldap://host or ldap://host/?... all represent a search
with an empty search base.  However, ...

>When the reference is followed, it should then use "" as the base I
>think, rather than the original base which is what OpenLDAP
>currently does.

The continuation handling technical specification states that
if an empty DN is returned in the LDAP search reference, the
operation is to progressed using the original base DN.

This implies a search starting anywhere other than the root
of the DIT cannot be continued to root of the DIT.

Kurt