RE: Transactions in LDAP

> >Secondly, how are transactions going to be treated when a
> referral comes
> >into play?
>
> The operation will not be reviewed as being successful, the
> transaction
> will not be applied.
So I assume the client will get a failure code back.  What if the following
happens.  Upon creation of a directory all branches of the tree reside on
the same server.  All client application code is written under this
assumption. And transaction management works just fine. Then, for whatever
reason, a given branch must be moved to another server.  Now all of a sudden
the client application code is broken.  How is this going to be dealt with?

> >Does the transaction cross over to the new directory?
>
> The mechanism is between an LDAP client and an LDAP server, so no.

Another question I have concerns replication.  If the transaction fails on
the slave server, will the master server also back out the change?

I know transaction management is in early stages of design, but these are
just some areas to consider.

Thanks,
Karen Loth
Lucent Technologies