Re: Why -lresolv?

"Jeffrey W. Baker" wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> I am building an application using the OpenLDAP 2.0 libraries.  Whenever I
> link against -lldap -llber, I also must add -lresolv.

This comes from dnssrv.c, used for service location.  Seems it should be
fixed.

> I find this
> annoying.  Obviously, you *must* link in all three libraries, or the link
> will fail, so why are these symbols unresolved in libldap.so?  For
> example, the symbols for libssl and libcrypto are resolved, so I don't
> have to pull them in explicitly.

Was broken for some time too.

> How can I fix this, so my application only has to pull in libldap?  I am
> building on Linux, using ./configure with no arguments.

You may force libldap.so creation to include a dependency on -lresolv or
wait for a fix.  It would be best if you reported this through our issue
tracking system at:

	http://www.openldap.org/its/

so that it is kept in the queue if not immediately solved.

Julio