Re: LDAP 2.0 CVS and php4 ...

On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 10:46:46AM -0700, Anthony Brock wrote:
> While attempting to compile an Apache web server with an ldap (2.0cvs)
> enabled php4 (the latest version off their web site), I encountered a minor
> but annoying error.  Basically, the php4 source code references a function as:
>
> ldap_get_lderrno(ldap, NULL, NULL)
>
> php4 compiles without errors using this function, but when linking with the
> Apache web server, I get a linker error.  If I change all references from
> the above to:
>
> ldap_result2error(ldap, NULL, NULL)
>
> it appears to function normally.  Is this the correct substitution?  Also,
> is this a php4 error, or should ldap-2.0 have a macro to fix this?  If it
> is a php4 error, then I will redirect this message to them.  However,
> assuming they are using a standard API, it might a good idea to create an
> appropriate macro.
>
> If this is not the correct function call to substitute, please let me
> know!  We are starting development next week, and it would be nice to test
> our code against a valid base.

According to draft-ietf-ldapext-ldap-c-api-04.txt ldap_result2error is
deprecated so I wonder if ldap_parse_result should be used instead. Or
is there a better way?

If I change it, can I safely do it for LDAP_API_VERSION > 2000? If not,
which? Are there any danger of breaking PHP with other LDAP APIs?

I'll fix PHP, but it would be good to get some answers to our questions
first.

Stig