attribute values can not be empty

OpenLDAP 2.0 beta can not handle attributes with an empty string as value.

If I try to add an entry where one of the attributes has an empty string as
value,
the function 'ldap_add' form the C-API gives an error message:
    Invalid syntax, value contains invalid data.

The problem is in slapd, not in the C-API: Using a Perl-API gives the same
problem.

Also with the 'ldapadd' client program (with an LDIF input file where one
attribute
has no value specified after the colon) ldapadd signals an input error.
(At least this is consistent with the server behaviour)

With Netscape I have no problems adding empty strings either way.

What do the standards say about empty values in LDAP and LDIF?

Regards

Andre Brands
CMG Telecommunications & Utilities B.V.
Hengelosestraat 501