Re: Bump up LIBVERSION?

At 09:36 AM 7/13/00 +0200, Julio Sánchez Fernández wrote:
>We currently set LIBVERSION to 0:0:0.  This means that the
>installed share libraries get names like libldap.so.0.0.0.  These
>numbers don't look nice.  We should change them to something else.
>
>At least RedHat have been distributing openldap packages with
>version 1.0.0 in libraries.

OpenLDAP 1.x LIBVERSION is 1:0:0.
OpenLDAP 2.x LIBVERSION will be 2:0:0 when a general beta
  is released.  (The current beta is "limited").

I intend to set LIBVERSION to 2:0:0 in OPENLDAP_REL_ENG_2
once we've completed API changes for the release.

The HEAD branch is not released nor should never be installed
for general use.  The HEAD branch is subject to frequent changes
which are not versioned.  It's LIBVERSION is permanently set to
0:0:0 to reflect this.

>I propose that we declare that library major version 1 is for
>Umich-compatible APIs and that OpenLDAP 2.0, implementing the
>new API based on the I-D (where ld is an opaque structure, etc.).
>gets a library major version of 2.

This is my intent.

>In consequence, I propose that we set LIBVERSION to 2:0:0 in
>build/top.mk in the HEAD branch, effective immediately.

I disagree.  LIBVERSION of the devel branch should remain 0:0:0.
HEAD is not versioned.