Re: IPv6 detection

On Fri, 9 Jun 2000, Stig Venås wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 09, 2000 at 08:13:15AM -0700, Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
> > At present, the code is conditional on LDAP_INET6 being
> > defined and this must be set by the user (currently via
> > CPPFLAGS, suggested through --enable-ipv6).  However,
> > I believe that if the platform supports IPv6, OpenLDAP
> > should take advantage of this support automatically.
> > I see no reason to disable IPv6 functionality where
> > IPv6 is supported.
> >
> > I'd like Stig to make s/LDAP_INET6/AF_INET6/ changes.
> > Comments?
>
> As long as the IPv6 code works as intended, this should be fine.
> I added it to have a fallback option in case someone has a broken
> IPv6 implementation or in case my code didn't work for someone.
>
> I'll be happy to change it, I'm probably being too careful (:

- Well, I follow the sendmail.org dev list ( being a minor
contributor ) and early implementations of IPV6 seem to have
a fair number of pitfalls. I haven't been tracking the issue closely,
but there appear to be slightly conflicting API's on various
platforms. If you are going to turn it on by default, you should
make it very easy to turn off.

- Booker C. Bense