RE: password policy enforcement

On Tue, 29 Feb 2000, Howard Chu wrote:

	In this scenario, how would I handle a replicate slave?  I really
don't want them changing if the master doesn't change.  Are you saying
there's no place in slapd itself I can store login failure counts?

# Seems like a reasonably inobtrusive enhancement. Define a couple new
# attributeTypes (for example):
#     loginDisabled (boolean) - is the account locked?
#     loginFailures (integer) - how many failures have there been?
#     loginMaxFailures (integer) - how many allowed before autolock occurs?
#
# Ideally "loginFailures" would be an operational attribute, but I don't think
# it's a big problem.
#
# Assuming you massage your users' objectclasses appropriately to allow for
# your new attributes, the enforcement logic can all be encapsulated in bind.c
# in the respective backends. (It would of course be nice if you could  put it
# in the slapd front end, so that any/all backends can use it. I don't see an
# easy way to do this, though.) The code in bind already has to retrieve an
# entry for the DN in question, so you can readily pull the current state of
# any locking attributes. Storing the modified attributes when login failures
# occur shouldn't be too hard either.
#
# I really wish the backend architecture wasn't modeled on the notion of
# individual backends being individual DSAs, sending results to the client
# independently of each other. If it had been structured such that all results
# were returned to the slapd mainline, then it would be simple for a single
# generic frontend "bind" routine to fetch bindDN entries from any particular
# backend, do all the boilerplate password validation, etc., without it
# needing to be redundantly managed in each individual backend. If ACL
# checking were consolidated in the front end, then the generic frontend bind
# would also have no trouble storing the updated entries back into their
# respective backends as bookkeeping items were recorded. Need more time...
#
#   -- Howard Chu
#   Chief Architect, Symas Corp.       Director, Highland Sun
#   http://www.symas.com               http://highlandsun.com/hyc
#