OpenLDAP and PHP/Apache problem (more info)

I just did a comparison between the verbose output of slapd and here is the
difference I see:

This one works (using command line ldapmodify):

=> acl_access_allowed: write access to value "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" by
"CN=ROOT,DC=
PORTERNOVELLI,DC=COM"

This one does not (ldap_modify using php):

=> acl_access_allowed: write access to value "" by "CN=ROOT,DC=
PORTERNOVELLI,DC=COM"

I have set the attribute value correctly in php and it doesn't seem to
appear. I used:

$info["givenname"]="aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa";
$sr=ldap_mod_replace($ds,"uid=myid1,dc=mydomain",$info);

It is strange that php seems to hiccup on this and cannot trap a return
error. Any pointers appreciated!