Re: Searching on attributes with spaces (fwd)

At 08:30 AM 9/28/99 -0700, Booker Bense wrote:

>- Saw this on the Perl-ldap list, it claims that
>openldap allows attribute names with spaces in them
>in violation of RFC2251.

Though I agree it's a bug, I just have to point out a
couple of issues:   OpenLDAP 1.2 implements RFC1777.
RFC1777 doesn't preclude an AttributeType from
containing spaces nor starting with '_'.

   AttributeType ::= LDAPString

Though it says "An AttributeType value takes on as its value
the textual string associated with that AttributeType in the
X.500 Directory standards" but it doesn't actually restrict
which strings you can associate with an X.500 AttributeType.

You could summarize LDAPv2 specs (and this implementation)
as being lazy... one has to be careful as what you specify
and don't specify.

One could argue that we should continue to accept attribute
times of any LDAPString.  This would be in keeping with the
"be liberal in what you accept, be strict in what you speak"
principal.

I guess my take on this is (for 2.0):  if schemacheck is off,
let the user shoot themselves in the foot.  But, if schemascheck
is on, attribute types should be checked for adherence to RFC2251
requirements.