Merging sources

On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, Graham Barr wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 19, 1999 at 03:52:01PM +0100, Chris Ridd wrote:
> > <Blush>
> >
> > Actually, Net:LDAP is Graham's baby, not mine. I only find and
> > (sometimes) fix the odd bug...
>
> It is true that I have done most of the development on Net::LDAP,
> although I feel there has been some significant input from
> people on this list.
>
> However my time for this is slowly reducing and Net::LDAP has already
> surpassed my own needs (for now). So I very much want to encourage
> community development of Net::LDAP, much like Larry has opened
> perl to community development.
>
> So if anyone has any ideas on how to improve or add features to
> Net::LDAP then please come forward. Patches would be great.
>
> I feel that there is a lot more that Net::LDAP can do. And
> developemnt by a community, rather than an individual, will
> greatly speed things up

- I don't speak for anybody but myself, but perhaps you should
consider moving the Net::LDAP module into the OpenLDAP distribution.
The big advantages to doing this would be access to a centralized
active set of developers, a very nice cvs and web repository and
exposure to pretty much everybody doing ldap work.

- The downside of course is that the underlying libraries aren't
linked at all, but I think an all perl client would be a big win for
the OpenLDAP distribution. I realize Kurt is quite busy with the
C code side of things, I'm not sure how much additional work adding
more code would be.

- I think that without this kind of access the Net::LDAP module
will lanquish without the support of an active developer. It
seems like there are two modes of open development that seem
to work:

1. A single active developer accepting patches/bug reports.

2. Many(i.e. more than one) developers working against a publically
   available repository.

- The second approach still requires somebody to pay attention
and organize releases, but I think it simplifies that task. It
also makes the process of handing off control much simpler.

- Booker C. Bense