Building a backend.

Ok, I've embarked on my first serious attempt to hack OpenLDAP.  I've followed
the examples and read the docs and UMich on building my own back-end.  It all
seems straightforward enough until...

How do I get this thing to compile?  I've looked through the config and
Makefile.in files.  I don't really understand how they work, but I've searched
for every entry of "SHELL" and "shell" and added a similar entry for my backend
("orbit").  The makefile is created, but it never gets run.   I get a message
that says something like "run configure with --enable-orbit".  I did that, no
luck.

I've clearly missed something important.  Can somebody give me a quick pointer
on the easiest way to compile my backend into slapd?

Regards...
Ami.