Re: schema headers and release

[[ added -devel to cc list to promote discussions ]]

Julio Sánchez Fernández wrote:
> Bert Vermeulen wrote:
> > Right now I need to #include <ldap_schema.h> if I want to use the new
> > schema parsing functions. Is this permanent, or will it eventually be
> > included from ldap.h?
> Kurt, we should have a ruling on this.  People need to know.

For now, I suggest keeping it separate.  The final ruling should likely
come from LDAPext.  That is, we should draft an LDAP C API extension
documenting this interface.  If the extension is optional, I would
think a separate header would be appropriate.  However, LDAPext in the
past has a history of combining independent APIs into a common header.

I think it's best to keep it separate until a draft extension is
published and reviewed.  It's much easy to migrate to users from two
to one than from one to two.

> > Also, is the schema code going to be released into the 1.2.x tree, or
> > will it be 2.x only?

I see little reason to port the schema code to our LDAPv2 tree (1.x).

Kurt