Re: support for dynamically loadable modules (ITS#196)

Julio Sánchez Fernández wrote:

> Bastiaan Bakker wrote:
> > > Could libtool be of help here?
> > >

> > Probably. I still have to learn how to use libtool, that's why I did not make use of it.
>
> Well, anyway, it is dying in ldif2ldbm.  No core.  Nothing visible
> anywhere.  Output is:

> running defines.sh . ldbm
> Datadir is ./data
> Cleaning up in ./test-db...
> Running ldif2ldbm to build slapd database...
> ldif2ldbm failed!
> make: *** [test-ldbm] Error 1
>
> Seems like ldif2ldbm (and maybe other programs) needs to be fixed for
> this.  Go to directory tests and do 'make test' there.
>
> Julio

Hi Julio,

When I increased the debug level I saw your problem is caused by failure to load the
back-ldbm module. The module had some unresolved dependencies. A rebuilt of the module linked
with the proper libraries solved the problem in make case. I did:
 gcc -g -O2 -shared -o libback-ldbm.so *.o -L/opt/testbin/openldap/lib -L../../../libraries/
-lavl -lldbm -lldif -lldap_r -llber -llutil

Your problem clearly indicates that the backend Makefiles need rules to build the modules,
doing it by hand is no fun.
Also it indicates failure to load a module may better be a fatal error. That way it will be
easier to spot problems like these. Maybe it should be configurable: e.g. failure to load a
module with non exportable crypto should not be fatal, whereas failure to load a backend
should be.

Bastiaan

begin:          vcard
fn:             Bastiaan Bakker