Re: running out of descriptors

Kurt,

On Mon, 24 May 1999, Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:

> At 02:23 PM 5/24/99 -0400, Don Badrak wrote:
> >I think the idea of the keepalives is probably a lot simpler to implement
> >(one line change in servers/daemon.c, and a couple other in the
> >distribution).
>
> I've committed a keep alive solution.  I'd appreciate feedback
> on it's effectiveness in your environment.

To the HEAD or 1_2 branch?  Would it be something that makes it into
1.2.2?

> >Not that I wouldn't mind seeing both.  Sometimes fixing the client (such
> >as this case), isn't the easiest thing to do.  Having a connection open
> >for a week, I just don't see being a realistic situation.
>
> An inactivity timer might also be useful in situations where the
> TCP stream is still alive but the application has stopped
> using the stream for some reason.
>
> When I get a chance, I'll commit something based upon
> Philipp Klaus's suggestion.

I was thinking about that one a bit.  It is working quite well, but there
is no way of disabling it. Mabye using value of 0 could disable the
timeout?

Don
--
Don Badrak <dbadrak@census.gov>              301.457.8263 work
Telecommunications Office		     301.457.4438 fax