subtree referrals in OpenLDAP development code

I am experimenting with the development version of the OpenLDAP
server.  I am evaluating the OpenLDAP server to see if we could make
it the reocmmended LDAP server for the Globus project's Metacomputing
Directory Service.

I have been having trouble making subordinate referrals work.  (Referrals
to the superior of the server's subtree work just fine.)   I have
tried two methods (one from the UMICH "SLAPD and SLURPD
Administrator's Guide", the other from Tim Howes's book,
"Understanding and Deploying LDAP directory services."

Here's the LDIF I'm using for these two methods:

  dn:  hn=jupiter.isi.edu, ou=Information Sciences Institute, o=University of Southern California, o=Globus, c=US
  objectclass: referral
  ref: ldap://mds.globus.org:389/hn=jupiter.isi.edu, ou=Information Sciences Institute, o=University of Southern California, o=Globus, c=US

  dn:  ref="ldap://mds.globus.org:389/hn=jupiter.isi.edu, ou=Information Sciences Institute, o=University of Southern California, o=Globus, c=US", hn=jupiter.isi.edu, ou=Information Sciences Institute, o=University of Southern California, o=Globus, c=US
  objectclass: referral

And here are the results I get:
   bash$ ldapsearch -a always -h weaver.isi.edu -p 1389 -b 'hn=jupiter.isi.edu, ou=Information Sciences Institute, o=University of Southern California, o=Globus, c=US' '(objectclass=*)'
   hn=jupiter.isi.edu, ou=Information Sciences Institute, o=University of Southern California, o=Globus, c=US
   objectclass=referral
   ref=ldap://mds.globus.org:389/hn=jupiter.isi.edu, ou=Information Sciences Institute, o=University of Southern California, o=Globus, c=US

   ref="ldap://mds.globus.org:389/hn=jupiter.isi.edu, ou=Information Sciences Institute, o=University of Southern California, o=Globus, c=US", hn=jupiter.isi.edu, ou=Information Sciences Institute, o=University of Southern California, o=Globus, c=US
   objectclass=referral
   bash$

What is the right way to make referrals to subtrees work?

Thanks,

--Steve Augart

--
Steven Augart  <swa@ISI.EDU>