configure fails when DB-2.7.3 installed via FreeBSD ports mech

Hi, I have a FreeBSD 3.1-STABLE box and have installed Berkeley DB via
the ports mechanism. The FreeBSD ports mechanism installs the header
files in /usr/local/include/db2 and the library as

/usr/local/lib/libdb2.a

However, configure seems to expect to find Berkeley DB as libdb.a I
tried to override it via the following command

CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include/db2" \ LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib" \
LIBS="-ldb2" \ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/site/ldap --with-ldbm \
--with-ldbm-api=db2

However, I get the following response

Checking for DB2 library... checking for db_open in -ldb... no no
checking for db.h... yes checking if db.h is DB2... yes checking for
Berkeley DB2... no configure: warning: could not find suitable LDBM
backend configure: error: select appropriate LDBM options or disable

However, If I install BerkeleyDB on my own from sleepycat's site. It
installs as prefix/BerkeleyDB/lib/libdb.a and everything works fine.

Any ideas ? Yusuf

--
Yusuf Goolamabbas
yusufg@outblaze.com