Re: NIS serving?

On Fri, Mar 19, 1999 at 04:39:17PM +0000, David Lee wrote:
> With Solaris [2.]7, Sun Microsystmes offer "Web Directory Services 3.1"
> which is basically an LDAP server.  One of its features is the ability to
> emulate a NIS (aka Yellow Pages) server, including user authentication for
> UNIX systems.  Another feature is RADIUS dialup authentication.  To us,
> these features look attractive, enabling us to unify three similar major
> administrative functions.
>
> Does OpenLDAP support NIS (and RADIUS)?  Are there any plans for this?
> Would implementing this be in sympathy with the planned development of
> OpenLDAP?

There is a program called ypldap at www.padl.com (it's commercial).
I've never used it, but it acts as a gateway between LDAP and NIS
clients (I think it works with OpenLDAP).

Something like this would be really nice in OpenLDAP's contrib section,
but there is nothing freely available yet.

OpenLDAP Core - bcollins@openldap.org                 bcollins@debian.org
UnixGroup Admin - Jordan Systems         The Choice of the GNU Generation