Re: connection management issues

Well, I'm taking a third approach to resolving these issues.

I've introduce a connection state (inactive, active, binding, closing)
to our connection structure.  When a bind occurs, the state changes
from active to binding.  If a new op occurs while in state 'binding',
it is placed in a separate list of ops_pending list for this connection.
When each operation completes, it calls routine to reschedule pending
operations.

I'm also using the state to determine if the connection should be
placed in the listener's input fd_set (don't listen if inactive or
closing).

A first cut (w/ only bind handling) has been committed to -devel.

I'm not sorting out the details to handle races upon closing.
I hope to be able to shutdown(fd, SHUT_RD) the stream when a
unbind occurs and defer the close() until all executing op
threads have completed.

This approach preserved the ability to compile under -DNO_THREADS.
It can even be extended to support per connection thread limits.

As I noted in some private discussions, it is possible to extend this
our code to support both thread pools and -DNO_THREADS.  However,
this would still require the architecture to limit itself to a
single listener thread and a single thread pool.  So, -DNO_THREADS
has a bit of a reprive.