Re: ITS#98 'user' patch for BSD systems

> Please submit patches via our ITS system.  Please follow our
> contribution guidelines, ie: provide a suitable copyright notice
> for your patch file.  As is, it's "All Rights Reserved" which
> isn't very usable.

No problem.  In earlier private mail, Hallvard had suggested that I
post them to -devel when they were ready.  I didn't realize there
were formal contribution guidelines.  I'll look them up now...

Hmm.  Ok, the following notice applies to my previously posted patches:

	Copyright 1999 PM Lashley.  All rights reserved.
	This code is not subject to any licence restrictions
	by myself or any company or organization with which
	I am associated.

	This is free software, you can redistribute it and
	use it under the same terms as OpenLDAP itself.

It isn't really clear to me what is the right way to submit a patch
for an existing bug.  The Bug Report page has a separate field for
the patch URL, which implies that it is handled specially.  But it
gives the impression that it always assigns a new ITS number to anything
submitted through it.  And when I track down incoming/98, I can't find
any forms that would allow the URL to be set.

I've combined the patches, prepended a copyright, and stuck them on
my FTP server at

    ftp://ftp.phoenix.volant.org/pub/OpenLDAP/PMLashley-990311.patch

Note that the patches in this file are slightly different from those
posted to -devel.  I've corrected one item in the text added to
slapd.conf.5; and I've added 'unsigned char' casts to the parameter
in the isdigit() calls to improve portability.  (Both as suggested
by Hallvard.)

> As far as uid/gid support goes, I'd like to see it modeled after
> named (under FreeBSD at least) -u/-g options.  These allow specification
> of the uid/gid by name or id.  If gid is not specificied, then getgroups()
> is used (which opens access to to all groups that this uid is in).

That's more or less what I'm doing; but I put it in the config file
instead of on the command line.  Command line options could be added
to override the config file values; if anyone is sufficiently motivated.

-Pat