Re: Anyone interested in a OpenLDAP => BeOS Port?

On Tue, Mar 09, 1999 at 07:27:16PM -0800, Steffen Yount wrote:

> The Be Operating System has many of the building blocks to be an LDAP
> Server Beast. (http://www.be.com/products/index.html)
>
> The BeOS has an extendable file attribute database built into it's fast
> journaling filesystem, which could be tapped by an LDAP backend. (Quite a
> few BeOS apps use the filesystem to keep databases of addresses and phone
> numbers)
>
> The BeOS was also built on a model of pervasive multithreading. So a
> multithreaded OpenLDAP server could scale extreemly well with a system
> using 2 to 4+ processors.
>
> Also the BeOS sports a Bash shell, a Posix compatibility layer, and most
> of the GNU tools.
>
> How hard do you think a port to the BeOS would be?
>
> Would it be better to wait till after OpenLDAP 2.0 with more threading support?

Wow, and I just happen to be a BeOS deveoper with some fresh unused R4
CD's. I'll look into this, but it will be intel based initially, someone
will have to verify the PPC compilation success.

OpenLDAP Core - bcollins@openldap.org                 bcollins@debian.org
UnixGroup Admin - Jordan Systems         The Choice of the GNU Generation