Re: Speed wars: NIS 1, LDAP 0

On Thu, Feb 25, 1999 at 06:35:14PM -0500, Elliot Lee wrote:
> This sucks. :) Has anyone profiled the nss_ldap module, libldap, or slapd?
> Would a different backend help the speed? Any configuration options I
> should be setting? What can I do to help improve the situation?

Could you be specific about the OS? Some systems like Solaris have an
nss cache. Glibc 2.1 sports and nscd as well, but I've yet to test it.
You may be getting some sort of cacheing from the NIS client too,
but of course if your OS doesn't cache nss lookups, ldap will take longer.

OpenLDAP Core - bcollins@openldap.org                 bcollins@debian.org
UnixGroup Admin - Jordan Systems         The Choice of the GNU Generation