Re: SLAPD question regarding parent DNs

Hi Hallvard,

Thanks for the help. Is there a document or RFC that I could read
more about this to get a better understanding?

Thanks,
--
-
J. R. Heisey

Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:

> JR Heisey writes:
> > cn=Joe Smith,cn=Recipients,ou=Engineering,o="MediaGate, Inc." (...)
> >
> > The server function dn_parent() (in dn.c) parses the DN to
> > determine the parent DN is calculated to be
> >
> > cn=Recipients,ou=Engineering,o="MediaGate, Inc."
>
> That's the correct answer.
>
> > Should cn=Recipients be consider part of the parent or
> > should the parent actually be
> >
> > ou=Engineering,o="MediaGate, Inc."
>
> No.  dn_parent() strips one RDN off the DN.  I assume you are thinking
> of "cn" vs. "ou", but the attribute types of the DN components are
> irrelevant in this regard.
>
> --
> Hallvard

begin:vcard
n:Heisey;J.R.
tel;fax:408-248-8552
tel;work:408-248-9495 x117
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.mediagate.com
org:MediaGate Inc.
adr:;;1245 S. Winchester Blvd.;San Jose;CA;95128;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:jr.heisey@mediagate.com
title:Sr. Foundation Engineer
note:Currently working on LDAP client software.
end:vcard