Re: transaction logging

James Taylor wrote:
> I'm not clear of the benefit of putting this type of
> information in a database.  Do you mean an LDAP directory?

I had not meant an LDAP directory of transactions (ahem, changes), but
the ideas from Mark's message seem very good.  By using a different
back-end and keeping the changes in the LDAP directory we should be able
to get good results.

> Anyhow the notion of improved auditing has been bothering for
> a while but the approach I was thinking of was to modify the
> replication mechanism so that the transactions it uses are not
> always truncated away.  I've been looking at the replication
> trim log functionality of slurpd but it may be more appropriate
> to have slapd write a second replog file dedicated for archive/auditing.
>
> Does this replog data suit your needs?

What do you think of the CHANGELOG approach with a separate back end and
possibly (I haven't finished reading the specs) some minor extensions
like new attributes?