Minutes of the LDAPbis BOF @ IETF#48

Minutes of the LDAP (v3) Revision BOF
	IETF#48, Aug 2, 1530-1730

Chairs:	Kurt D. Zeilenga <kurt@openldap.org>
		RL "Bob" Morgan <rlmorgan@washington.edu>

Scribe:	Ellen Stokes <stokes@austin.ibm.com>

AGENDA BASHING:

The Kurt Zeilenga presented a revised agenda for the session:
- Agenda Bashing
- Introduction, Chair(s)
- IESG Note, AD
- LDAPv3 Applicability Statement, JeffH
- Relationship to X.500, Kurt
- Reorganisation of the Specification, MarkW
- Other Issues
- Charter Bashing, Group
- Next Steps, Chair(s)

No changes were made.

INTRODUCTION, Kurt Zeilenga
- need draft standard for better interoperability
- define better / clarify specs

There is consensus it is a good thing to take ldapv3
to draft standard and to do it in a working group

IESG NOTE, Patrik Fältström
- note is on lack of security (because was not addressed IETF wide
  when RFC published)
- need to include mandatory security in the ldap specs: publish new RFCs

LDAPv3 APPLICABILILTY STATEMENT, Jeff Hodges
- draft-hodges-ldapv3-as.00.txt
- specifies RFCs constituting to ldapv3
- proposed std maturity level
- rescinds IESG note?
  Patrik Fältström to think about whether this is ok
- glues 'core' docs together so viewed as ldapv3 core;
  put out now so we can start to progress the 'core' docs
  to draft standard as well as this glue doc
  Leslie Daigle recommend not referring to document as an
    'Applicability Statement'.  She will provide recommendation
    for the document title.

RELATIONSHIP TO X.500, Kurt Zeilenga
- statements about X.500 - ldap relationship are unclear and
  need to be clarified
- do clarification from ldap point of view and then provide
  X.500 references as needed
- need terminology section; also see X.500 alignment with LDAP
  doc from ITU
  David Chadwick noted ITU has an "X.500 alignment with LDAP" effort
  underway.  Another attendee noted possible need for ITU liaison.

REORGANIZATION OF THE SPECIFICATION, Mark Wahl
- draft-wahl-ldapv3-2001plan-00.txt (ldapv3 existing rfc development plan)
- discussion document, not to be taken to RFC
- cannot add features to proposed standard during taking to draft
  standard without going through another min 6 months proposed standard
- need to document what is current practice and base changes on
  that (important for interoperability)
- need to look at lots of other RFCs and determine disposition
- look seriously at obsoleting ldapv2 (1777-1779) - need to get
  ldapv3 to full standard
- look at ietf web site for http interoperability report to get idea
  of what is required in generating an interoperability report
- need two independently-developed implementations to demonstrate
  interoperability for each feature (a single implementation does
  not have to be used to demonstrate interoperatibility of every
  feature)

OTHER ISSUES

None.

CHARTER BASHED
- purpose:  define ldapv3 "core" and revise specs as necessary to
  achieve draft standard
- scope: changes necessary for draft standard plus mandatory to
  implement extensions
- out of scope:  cldap, other extensions, replication, schema
  excepting core
- deliverables: applicability statement, revisions of core RFCs
  (2251-56, 2829-2831)
- milestones were listed and deemed adequate.

The consensus of the attendees is to request the formation of a
Working Group under the attached charter.  The consensus was
for Kurt Zeilenga and RL "Bob" Morgan to serve as co-chairs.

Action Item: Chair(s) to submit proposed charter to AD.

LDAP Revision Working Group (LDAPbis)

Co-chairs:
Kurt D. Zeilenga <kurt@OpenLDAP.org>
RL "Bob" Morgan <rlmorgan@washington.edu>

Mailing List:
Subscribe: mailto:ietf-ldapbis-request@openldap.org?body=subscribe
Post: mailto:ietf-ldapbis@openldap.org
Archive: http://www.openldap.org/lists/ietf-ldapbis/
Policy: MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST WITHOUT APPROVAL OF MODERATOR

Description of Working Group:

The LDAPv3 "core" specification is RFC 2251-2256 and 2829-2831. The
purpose of this working group is to shepherd these RFCs through the
Internet Standard process.

The group will deliver revised LDAPv3 specifications suitable for
consideration as a Draft Standard.  This work will be based upon
RFC 2251-2256,2829-2831.

The group will deliver an applicability statement defining LDAPv3.
This work will be based upon draft-hodges-ldapv3-as-00.txt.

The following areas are out of scope:
	"LDAPv4"
	All LDAP Extensions (LDAPext) excepting StartTLS.
	LDAP Replication (LDUP)
	LDAP non-"core" Schema
	Connection-less LDAP (LDAPext)

Milestones

Aug 2000	Publish LDAP Applicability Statement I-D
Nov 2000	Publish LDAP Revised Specification I-Ds
Dec 2000	Submit LDAP Applicability Statement I-D to the IESG
			for consideration as Proposed Standard
Jun 2001	Publish Implementation Report
Jul 2001	Submit LDAP Revised Specification I-Ds and Implementation
			Report to the IESG for consideration as Draft Standard
Jul 2001	Submit LDAP Applicability Statement I-D to the IESG for
			consideration as Draft Standard